I really like the look of the new Sarrissa laser cut pods, but I felt the interior was too Spartan. Wha’ts the fun of having a building interior if it’s bare? I decided to see what I could do to jazz up the interior of the small “explorer” pod. I’m going to create sleeping quarters for an expedition crew with bunks and lockers.
My first step was to assemble the floor end and lower walls. I left off the upper wall sections for now as it will make it easier to work and paint the interior of the pod. Next I removed both doors.
The first modification I made was to add a door jam around the inside of one door, this was made of four pieces of styrene #206 “C” Channel from Evergreen models. This does a couple of things. First it creates a small lip so that the door can’t be pushed into the pod and it adds a little detail to an otherwise blank wall.
Next I cut a back wall out of .04” sheet styrene to cover up the rear door. I felt that the smaller pod would only need one door.
On the side of the pod opposite the door I added two benches for bunks. The benches are just .04” sheet styrene gut in an “L” shape.
In between the benches I built a styrene box and glued two wall lockers to the front. The lockers are cast hydrostone pieces from Hirst Arts Mold #303 “Med Lab Accessories”. I then put two bunk mattresses on the benches. Again, these are cast pieces from the same Hirst Arts mold. At this point the pieces aren’t glued in. I wanted to just test the fit and get everything in before painting.
Next I added a third bunk and more lockers to the other side of the pod. Because the door is offset towards a wall I couldn’t fit in a fourth bunk.
Next, to liven up the floor I cut a piece of Evergreen ½” grid sheet styrene. Unfortunately I didn’t make my measurements properly so there are a few gaps here and there.
Last up I wanted to add some greebles to the back wall, a control panel by the door and some overhead lights over the bunks. These are cast pieces again from Hirst Arts and are a mix from mold #326 “Industrial Accessory Mold” and #327 “Machinery Builder Mold”. I also added a bit of sheet styrene to the back of the door to cover up the line from the window. Like the other details, I’ll go ahead and paint them first and then glue everything together.